Newsline | April 22, 2020
The recipients of the 2020 Student Organization Awards have been announced!
Watch this video to see Senior Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Martino Harmon announce our award recipients!
2020 Award Recipients:
Outstanding Commitment to Service Award - Pay It Forward
Outstanding Commitment to Diversity Award - Hindu Yuva
Outstanding Event of the Year Award - Dance Marathon 2020, Dance Marathon
Outstanding Student Org Adviser of the Year Award - Mary Kate Misak, SALC
Outstanding Student Leader of the Year Award - Reid Epstein, Adoption Club
Congratulations to all of our award nominees and recipients!
The Student Activities Center has created a Virtual Resources for Student Organizations page that is updated daily. Check it out for tips and tricks on leading your organization from home!
Find information on the following topics:
- Virtualizing and Canceling Student Organization Events
- Hosting Virtual Meetings
- Virtual Officer Elections and Transitions
- Online Activities to do Together as an Organization
- Student Office and Storage Space Updates
- Student Organization Mail Procedures
- Tips and Best Practices for Leading an Organization Virtually
- Additional Campus Resources
Questions? Click Here to Ask the SAC.
Looking for ways to continue to learn about leadership and grow as a leader from home? Check out the Leadership and Service Center's new Online Leadership Resources page!
Find resources to do the following:
- Take Leadership and Personality Assessments
- Watch TED Talks
- Participate in Virtual Discussions
- Explore Free Online Courses for Leaders
- Listen to Popular Leadership Podcasts
- Watch Leadership Videos, Webinars, and Virtual Workshops
- Read Online Leadership Journals, Websites, and Blogs
- Check Out Other Student Activities and MU Resources
Resources and Opportunities for Organizations and Officers
Show off your club or organization and help us welcome new students to Iowa State during Destination Iowa State!
The Center of ExCYtment Picnic is the first event during Destination Iowa State and an excellent opportunity to engage with and connect with students prior to the start of the school year. If your club or organization is interested in exhibiting at the Picnic, please fill out an application to exhibit.
Applications are due on Friday, July 17.
If you have any questions regarding the Center of ExCYtment Picnic, please contact the DIS Intern (Brynne Yeazel) at email@example.com.
Have questions about how to manage funds and purchases during COVID-19? Utilize the Campus Organizations Accounting Office's COVID-19 Update Page.
Is your organization currently working on transitioning officers while communicating virtually? Use this online Officer Transition Guide to help!
The Leadership and Service Center has created a checklist to guide your transition process that can be done 100% virtually.
Downloadable Resources on the Checklist Include:
- A Transition Document Template
- An Incoming Officer Reflection Questions Worksheet
- A Transition Meeting Guiding Questions Document
- A SMART Goals Activity Worksheet
- Other SAC, Accounting, Event Management, and Marketing Resources
Questions or need assistance? Click Here to Ask the SAC.
ClubFest will be held on Wednesday, September 9, from 11am - 4pm, on Central Campus. Registration for student organizations will open on Wednesday, August 19 at 10:00am.
Mark your calendars!
We've added a new organization category in the Student Organization Database that is "Graduate and Professional." If your organization serves primary graduate and/or professional students, be sure to update your organization's category in the database by following these steps!
- Go to to the Student Org Database and Login with your Net-ID and password
- Click on "Profile" on the left-hand side
- Click on the name of your organization
- Click on "Basic Information" in the checklist
- Under "Category," check the "Graduate and Professional" box
- Click "Save" at the bottom of the page
Tell us how we can help! If you have any questions, comments, or concerns that you would like to talk about with the Student Activities Center Staff, get answers here by "Asking the SAC!"
We can help answer questions about how to manage your student organization virtually, complete student organization processes online, find virtual involvement opportunities, and so much more!
The Leadership and Service Center is now closed for the remainder of the Spring semester, but will re-open in August! Submit your Fall 2020 Workshop Request today!
- Meet one on one with a peer leadership and service consultant
- Find leadership and service opportunities
- Create a new club or organization
- Get advice on how to improve your club
- Check out team builder activities and materials
- Get help planning organization retreats
- Request custom workshops, presentations, and activities for your organization's next meeting or retreat