Newsline, April 6, 2016
Join the LEAD Team and Plan Leadership Events on Campus
The Leadership Education And Development (L.E.A.D.) Team develops and applies their leadership skills through planning large-scale conferences, retreats, and individual workshops for recognized student organizations. Team members will also gain experience in other areas such as public speaking, networking, and marketing. In this role, students will assist the Student Activities Center in helping Iowa State students become more engaged citizens and active campus leaders. Apply today!
Is your organization planning an event to be held in the Memorial Union in the fall? Get ready to book your space now! Sponsored and Affiliated Tiered organizations can start reserving space Monday, April 4, and all student organizations can reserve space starting Monday, April 11. Please contact Memorial Union Event Management for details.
Resources and Opportunities
Wanted: Awesome role models for future ISU students who are interested in encouraging fifth grade future students to pursue college. ISU students who have experience with historically excluded populations are highly encouraged to participate. Our hope is that after seeing campus and meeting ISU students, these fifth graders will ultimately be encouraged to pursue college at Iowa State. You'll spend a few hours with a small group of students from ISU 4U Promise schools as they learn about ISU. You'll lead students through a central campus scavenger hunt, take them to lunch at the MU, and team up with WISE to do a science activity. You'll need to be available Friday, April 15 or Thursday, May 19 from 9:30am to 1:15pm. To participate, contact Kayla at email@example.com or 294-4144.
Student Union Board is offering a discount on group tickets to student organizations for two upcoming shows.
Dan + Shay
Doors at 7pm
Hansen Agricultural Student Center
Tickets: $20 each
Discount tickets for student orgs: $15 each
Doors at 7pm
Great Hall, Memorial Union
Tickets: $18 each
Discount tickets for student orgs: $12 each
Fill out this form to receive the discounted tickets. Tickets can be purchased with a check or intramural form. You can order as many or as few tickets as you like. Questions? Just ask firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2016 Student Organization Award categories include:
- Outstanding Student Leader of the Year
- Outstanding Commitment to Diversity
- Outstanding Commitment to Service
- Outstanding Event of the Year
- Outstanding Student Organization Adviser of the Year
Learn the requirements for each award and fill out the forms. Nominations are due tonight, Wednesday, April 6 at 5pm.
Destination Iowa State is currently inviting student organizations to participate in events with the opportunity to promote your organization and reach out to new Cyclones!
Center of ExCYtment Picnic (Thursday, August 18, 2016) – If your organization can host an outdoor interactive booth with activities ranging from obstacle courses, games and club demonstrations for more than 6,000 people, this event may be a good fit for you.
Late Night at the MU (Friday, August 19, 2016) – If your organization would like to host a booth more conducive for more one on one interactions including display booth, club demonstrations, dance lessons for 3,000 people, this event might be the best option for you.
Our staff is happy to help your organization develop an exciting activity geared toward the new students in attendance. If you are interested in applying to host an activity during Destination Iowa State or have any questions, please email Jenna Heilman at email@example.com or call 515-294-5714. Activities will be accepted first-come first-serve and must be submitted by July 29, 2016.
This May, Iowa State University will host the Odyssey of the Mind World Finals conference. The conference will be large, and ISU Dining needs help serving meals. They are looking for local, civic, community, school and other non-profit organizations that would like to earn extra money for their organization. Assistance will be needed from Wednesday, May 25 through Saturday May 28, 2016. This is a wonderful opportunity for non-profit organizations to raise money for their cause quickly. To participate, contact Diane Schmidt at (515) 294-5573.
Who makes the MU the living room of your Iowa State home? Nominate them for an MU Award! Nominations are due Tuesday, April 12.
- Display all your club's photos in the new photo gallery application.
- Use the new calendar feature to list events and meetings for your members and anyone who visits your webpage. Students can also subscribe to your calendar so that your events show up on their personal calendar within the student organization database, which can be found under "My Stuorg," and then "Calendar."
- Once you create your event on the calendar, you can have event attendees check in with a prox card or card swipe reader that collects participant names in a database within your website. You can then pull an attendance report at any time.
- Manage your subscribers! Students, faculty, staff and anyone with an account can subscribe to your organization to get announcements in addition to the information on your calendar. Be sure to visit the "Manage Subscribers" page to see who's subscribing to your organization, and invite others to subscribe. Once you have a list, you can create and send announcements to those subscribers within the site.